Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Music that sends chills down your spine

         Hello everyone, today we're going to talk about music that gives you chills. Have you ever heard a song that you know you like, but gives you goosebumps as you hear it? Well, today I have some songs you might want to hear. You can also feel free to post your own, I'll listen to them.

The first one in our list is the Matthew's Passion by Bach. This song exudes qualities that are dark and light at the same time. For me, it is a song of unity. It shows that both light and dark can exist at the same time. It reminds us that we, as humans, are a split of our good and bad sides. Our evil and benevolent sides need to both exist. We need to know evil to know good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_LLFfFXaUA

The second one on our list is Mozart's Requiem. Even though it is cliche, it is cliche for a reason.To me this song is a summation of all the dark things, such as emotions and thoughts, we feel. For example, even though there are light portions of this song, they go back to the dark qualities of the other songs. They exhibit the feelings of paranoia, helplessness, and how small you are compared to an Almighty force. The amen at the end of the Requiem could be considered a sign of good things to come, or an omen, that will make people become like they would at the end of days. I know I didn't put the whole requiem, but you can search for it yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE2muDZksP4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi8vJ_lMxQI


Finally, we have Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. For me this song is like a thunderstorm. It starts off quiet, but then transforms into a maelstrom of fury. As a piano player, I know how difficult the sonata as a whole is. You have to perform the first and second movement very softly like an ocean view in the light of a full moon. However, with the third movement, you need to get angry, and I mean VERY angry. I could not play this song calm. Whenever i wanted to play it, i had to think of things that bothered me and only then could I play this well. The third movement also fluctuates. It goes through the little dips of calm we feel before we get even more furious. At the end, it climaxes into a final thunderbolt that ends the storm and dissipates. The picture in the first video (first movement) is what it looks like before the storm begins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT7_IZPHHb0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjaIWV4ymRY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHhYk4TgtYU&feature=related

1 comment:

  1. Daaaaamn. This is SO good! I love all these songs. Great taste, great taste. I'm so jealous you can actually play these.

    Yeah, I see that theme. "Light and Dark."

    Haha, my dad plays The Requiem all the time at my house. Sometimes, it just bugs the crap outta my mom because it depresses her and makes her think of the dying. But I love it. It's a masterpiece.

    This is pretty cool. I like how you explained your vision of the songs. Like, how you see their translations come to life. Music like this is beautiful because, as a friend of mine would say, "It touches your soul."

    ReplyDelete